THE United States (US) Africa Command said on Monday, May 18, that it had carried out additional airstrikes against Islamic State in the Northeast on Sunday, May 17, in coordination with the Nigerian government.
Reuters quoted AFROCON as saying no US or Nigerian forces were harmed during the latest strikes.
Recall that on Saturday, May 16, US President, Donald Trump, and President Bola Ahmed Tinubu confirmed that the US and Nigerian forces conducted an operation in the Lake Chad area of Borno State that killed Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, said to be the second in command of Islamic State globally.
Tinubu said Nigerian forces worked closely with the US military in what he called a daring joint operation that dealt a heavy blow to the ranks of the Islamic State.
Trump, who has previously accused Nigeria of failing to protect Christians from Islamist militants, thanked the Nigerian government for its partnership in the operation.
Borno has been the epicentre of Islamist insurgency waged by Boko Haram and its splinter group, Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) for 17 years that has killed thousands and displaced over two million others.
Published:


